Frequently Asked Questions | NYU Tandon School of Engineering

Frequently Asked Questions



Should I travel with cash?
No, we strongly urge you not to carry cash while traveling. You can purchase traveler's checks at a bank in your country. If lost, traveler's checks are usually replaced by the company that issued them. Larger amounts (such as your tuition) should be carried in the form of a draft (money order) or a bank check. You can open an account at a local bank, so that you can have additional funds transferred at a later date.
How much is the NYU Tandon School of Engineering's tuition?
Tuition and fees change each semester. To view the most up-to-date information visit the tuition and fee rates page.
When is my tuition due?
You must be prepared to pay the full amount of tuition and fees each semester. You can make a single payment at the beginning of the semester or you can arrange to pay it in installments throughout the semester.
How do I pay my tuition in installments?
The Office of Student Accounts offers a monthly payment arrangement through Tuition Management System (TMS). The monthly payment plan is interest-free, regardless of the balance amount, with a one-time enrollment fee accessed at the beginning of the plan. For more information, visit the TMS website.
What methods of payment are accepted at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering?
Tuition and fees can be paid using a bank check, money order, or wire transfer. Cash is also accepted, but not suggested for those traveling internationally.
Who should payments be addressed to?
Bank checks, money orders, and traveler’s checks should be addressed to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering.
Is the $500 deposit part of my tuition?
Yes, it is a part of your tuition. You should subtract the $500 deposit from your first semester payment.
Can I pay my tuition deposit online?
Yes, you can pay the $500 tuition deposit online. Visit the Submit Your Deposit page.
What will happen if I get a tuition waiver for the year?
One half of the waiver will be applied to your first semester’s tuition bill and the other half will be applied to the following semesters.
What if I have more questions about the financial aspects of attending the NYU Tandon School of Engineering?
For more information, view your billing rights, or contact the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissons at or 646.997.3182.

Graduate Student Employment and Training Program (GSET)

Who can apply to the Graduate Student Employment and Training Program?
The GSET program is limited to full-time students in good academic standing that do not have current employment. Visit the GSET page for additional eligibility information.
How do I apply for a GSET Position?
Departments hire graduate assistants on an individual basis. Speak to your academic advisor, or you can check for various positions posted on CareerNet or WayUp.
What is CareerNet and how do I get access to it?
CareerNet is the official online job portal and web based recruiting system of NYU. To access CareerNet, go to Please contact the Wasserman Center for Career Development-Brooklyn, located on the first floor of Wunsch Hall, for your login and password for CareerNet.
What do I do once I have access to CareerNet?
After logging in, familiarize yourself with CareerNet by watching the online video tutorial located in the upper right hand corner of the home page for tips on checking announcements, completing your profile, uploading documents (resumes, cover letters, etc.) and searching and applying for jobs.
How many hours a week can I work?
GSET students are eligible to work up to 15 hours per week.
How do I get a Social Security Number?
You must first have employment status on campus, an employment letter, and you must get approval from the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions, Human Resources, and the Office of Global Services-Brooklyn.
I am an international student. Can I hold another job in addition to my GSET position?
Federal law permits international students to work a maximum of 20 hours per week when they are in classes; therefore, international students with GSET positions are not allowed to hold any additional jobs. Any exceptions to this rule would need prior approval by the Office of Global Services and the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions.
What if I become sick and miss work or take a vacation?
As GSET students do not earn sick or vacation hours, please consult with your supervisor or department concerning their policies.
How long may I hold a GSET position?
The length of time a graduate student may hold a GSET position is up to the department/school/office that hired you. However, you should not exceed the number of hours specified in your employment letter. You should work in accordance with the number of hours based on the round of employment you began with.
I have questions about the GSET program not answered on this page. Where can I go for answers?
Contact the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions located in Wunsch Hall in person, via email at, or via phone at 646.997.3182.


When I first arrive at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering for orientation, where should I go?
You will need to check in with the Office of Student Affairs. Please sign in with a photo ID at the security desk at 6 Metrotech Center, where you will be directed to the check-in rooms.
What events are required during orientation?
All new graduate students must attend the Welcome to Graduate School session hosted by the Office of Graduate Academics and the Office of Student Affairs. If you are an international student, you are also required to attend the International Student Orientation session hosted by the Office of Global Services.
What else must I do during orientation?
  • Meet with your academic adviser and register online for classes.
  • Get your NYU student ID card.
  • Attend International Student Orientation (if you are an international student).
  • Submit your immunization forms if you did not submit them before your arrival. It is strongly encouraged that you submit all immunization documents prior to your arrival. See your next steps for more details.


Where can I access the list of course offerings?
For a list of the courses offered and class schedules, visit the NYU Tandon School of Engineering Class Schedule.
Where do I purchase my books?
You can purchase your books from the NYU Bookstore.
How do I set up an appointment with my academic adviser?
Contact your department directly to set up a time to meet with your adviser. Locate your academic adviser.
How do I register for classes?
You will register online using NYU Albert after meeting with your academic adviser. Albert is accessible via your NYU homepage.
What if I do not know my usernames and passwords for my NYU School of Engineering online accounts?
For all online accounts, including NYU Home, Albert, Email, etc., contact the Information Systems Help Desk (337 Rogers Hall; Monday–Friday: 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.; 24-hour phone support: 646.997.3123;
How do I get my Student ID Card?
You can request your NYU ID before you arrive on campus. Visit the ID Center website and follow the instructions to upload your photo. Pre-requested ID cards will be available for pickup on the Brooklyn campus during Orientation. If you do not request your card before you arrive, you will need a valid form of photo ID (passport, driver's license, etc.) and your NetID to take your photo and receive your card during Orientation.


Do I need to get vaccinated before attending NYU School of Engineering?
Yes, and you need to have your doctor fill out the Immunization Form so that you can submit it to the NYU Student Health Center online. Information on how to submit your immunization documents can be found here.
Do I still need to get vaccinated even if I am not living in on-campus housing? What if I am a part-time student?
Yes, everyone enrolled at NYU Tandon School of Engineering, including part-time students, must get vaccinated and submit the Immunization Form whether they are living on campus or not.
Do I need a health exam before coming to NYU School of Engineering?
It is highly recommended that in addition to getting vaccinated, you undergo a physical exam, though it is not required.
What if I have more questions about the immunization requirement?
Visit this page for more information.

Student Health Insurance

Is health insurance required to attend NYU School of Engineering?
Yes, every student must have health insurance.
I’m an international student, is it okay to use health insurance from my home country?
No. All international students are required to carry the NYU-sponsored plan. You may choose to have additional coverage, but it will be in addition to the NYU-sponsored plan. All International students are automatically enrolled in the health insurance plan offered by NYU School of Engineering.  
I’m a domestic student. Do I need to purchase NYU School of Engineering health insurance?
All domestic students taking nine or more units or who are considered a full-time student at NYU School of Engineering must carry valid accident and sickness insurance that is comparable to the plan offered by NYU. HMO plans that do not have local coverage will not be considered adequate coverage. If you do not show proof of existing coverage through the WAIVER process, you will be automatically billed and enrolled in the school plan.
If I qualify to waive the NYU-sponsored health insurance plan, what is the waiver process?
Learn more about the waiver process for NYU Tandon School of Engineering students.
I have more questions about the health insurance plan. Where can I learn more?
Visit the health insurance webpage.